Maintaining a clean and hygienic countertop ice maker is essential for safe, healthy, and tasty ice cubes. However, when you’re a first timer it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to cleaning your machine. This is why today, we’ll be telling you all about how to clean your countertop ice maker.
How often should you clean it? How do you properly clean the different components of your ice maker? These are all valid questions that may arise when you own one of these practical and convenient machines. In this guide, we’ll answer all these questions and more so that you can keep your countertop ice maker in top condition.
Just like any other appliance, your countertop ice maker needs cleaning from time to time, this way you’ll be making sure the machine works properly and efficiently. Contrary to what you may think, keeping clean your countertop ice maker isn’t that difficult and anybody can do it.
In order to properly clean your countertop ice maker, you’ll also be needing a few supplies, but do not worry because we’ll also be sharing with you exactly what you need to get the job done.
How To Clean Your Countertop Ice Maker Quick Guide
- Gather a clean dishcloth, vinegar, baking soda, and some warm water.
- Begin by unplugging the machine and removing any ice or cubes that may be inside.
- Then use your dishcloth to wipe down all of the surfaces of the machine, including the interior walls and lid.
- Once this is done, fill the ice maker with a mixture of vinegar and warm water. Let the solution sit in the machine for about an hour before draining it out.
- To clean the exterior of the ice maker you can use a mild detergent and warm water
- Dry using a soft cloth
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down all surfaces again, and then sprinkle baking soda inside the machine.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for 10-15 minutes before wiping it away completely with a clean cloth. Finally, fill the ice maker with fresh, clean water and run it through a cycle to completely flush out any remaining vinegar or baking soda.
- Empty the cleaning solution from the water reservoir.
- Detach the water line situated above the evaporator, carefully clean and rinse it out.
- To ensure optimal functioning, fill the water reservoir up to its designated level marker with fresh H2O.
- To create a batch of ice cubes, run the ice maker and then discard them after use and drain the water.
- Add fresh water to the reservoir for ice production or wipe it down with a soft cloth before storage.
- To ensure a thorough and hygienic clean, make sure to regularly wash the ice scoop like any other cutlery.
How often should you clean your countertop ice maker?
First, it’s important to know how often you should clean the ice maker. Generally speaking, you should clean your machine once every 3-4 months. This will help ensure that no bacteria or mold is growing in the machine and that all parts are functioning properly.
Why do you need to know how to clean your countertop ice maker?
It’s not uncommon for ice makers to become surprisingly contaminated over time. This is due to the perfect environment it creates for bacteria and mold growth, even in freezing temperatures. To ensure your portable ice maker remains clean and free of bacteria or viruses, it must be regularly maintained with a proper cleaning routine.
Sings that you need to clean your countertop ice maker ASAP:
- Unusual taste or smell of the ice
- Ice cubes are clumped together or unusually small
- The machine is making strange noises while operating
- There is visible mold in and around the ice maker
- The interior walls, lid, and exterior of the device are dusty or have a sticky residue
- Water is leaking from the machine
- An unusual amount of condensation has formed on your countertop near the ice maker
What do you need to clean your countertop ice maker?
- Warm water
- Your favorite dish soap
- Vinegar/lemon juice/ice maker cleaner
- Soft clothes
How To Clean Your Countertop Ice Maker in 7 steps
Prep your ice maker machine
Unplug the machine and remove any ice or cubes inside the maker.
When disposing of a used ice maker water, make sure to position the appliance over your sink. Remove the latch on its back and allow the water from its reservoir to drain out accordingly.
Remove the storage basket
Remove the ice basket from inside the ice maker and rinse it off with some soap and warm water. Make sure to place it back once it’s finished soaking.
Use a cleaning solution
Combine equal parts of water and vinegar, then fill up the water reservoir with both your solution and additional water.
Use a damp cloth to wipe down all surfaces of the machine including the interior walls and lid then fill it with a mixture of vinegar and warm water for an hour before draining it out.
Reach tough spots
To successfully clean your countertop ice maker, you need to make sure you get to those difficult spots. Spray the inside with your solution and scrub the inner nooks and crannies with a soft cloth.
Run a cycle and throw it
Try making vinegar ice cubes with your solution in order to reach the spaces that build up. To make sure all the cleaning solution is gone, don’t forget to drain the water and toss the ice into the sink.
Rinse out the ice maker
Don’t skip washing the outside of your ice maker. Coat your machine with the cleaning solution and rinse it off. Then, grab a fresh cloth and use plain water to give your ice machine one last quick clean.
Make sure the ice has no taste
Return the drain plug to its original position and fill up the water reservoir with clean, fresh water. You may want to run a few cycles and after a tasting, if your ice is free from soap or cleaning solution, you have successfully learned how to clean your countertop ice maker.
Recommended Ice Maker Cleaners to Clean your Countertop Ice Maker
What We Like
- Nickel-safe formula
- Easy to use
- Removes hard water and mineral buildup
What We Don’t Like
Affresh Ice Machine Cleaner is the No.1 recommended ice maker cleaner by Whirlpool and KitchenAid brands for cleaning countertop ice makers. Its specialized formula is designed to help remove hard water and mineral buildup so that you can enjoy great-tasting, clean ice whenever you need it.
Affresh’s nickel-safe formula is perfect for all freestanding makes and models, making it easy to use according to your machine’s instructions on a regular basis (9 months or as needed).
With Affresh Ice Machine Cleaner you can be sure that your countertop ice maker will always be clean so that you have delicious-tasting ice with every use!
What Our Testers Say
This is an incredibly easy-to-use product that leaves your machine spotless. The directions are simple to understand and follow, making it a breeze for anyone looking for reliable cleaning results. After using this several times now, I can confidently say that I will continue reordering whenever needed!
I drained the machine, switched it to cleaning mode, filled it with the bottle of Affresh and then 32 ounces of tap water, and ran the cleaning cycle.
What We Like
- Non-toxic and multipurpose formula
- Does not leave bad-tasting residues behind
- Compatible with all residential and commercial types including countertop models
What We Don’t Like
- Can get sticky with overuse
Essential Values Ice Machine Cleaner is the perfect solution for your ice machine. This non-toxic and multipurpose formula quickly removes mineral scale deposits from a variety of machines, without leaving any bad-tasting residues behind.
For incredible value, our 16-ounce bottle works for 4 uses and will extend the life of your machine when descaled every 3 to 6 months.
This ice maker cleaner is compatible with all residential and commercial types like countertop models, crushed ice makers, portable units, and built-in ones too! With Essential Values Cleaner, you can easily clean your countertop ice maker in an affordable yet effective way.
What Our Testers Say
A must-have product! Our countertop ice maker was thoroughly cleaned and all the difficult-to-reach stubborn buildups were eliminated. This appliance is incredibly easy to use, and I highly recommend it without hesitation.
After running the machine with a few more rounds of just water, the taste begins to gradually fade away.
How To Clean your countertop ice maker video tutorial
The youtube video below will walk you through a detailed description of how to clean your countertop ice maker.
Final Thoughts about how to clean your countertop ice maker
Cleaning your countertop ice maker is an important part of keeping it in good working order. Regular maintenance will help keep the machine clean and free from bacteria, mold, and other contaminants that can affect its performance.
To ensure that your machine continues to produce high-quality cubes for years to come, follow these tips on how to clean your countertop ice maker properly. With a little effort and dedication, youâ€™ll be able to enjoy delicious cold drinks every day.